Wednesday, June 25, 2014

You Can Love A Rejection

We are sometimes given small surprises in our lives that seem so unreal, so in your face that you don't know whether to laugh or cry. You seem dumbfounded by what is right in front of you that the words cannot form from your lips.

On this particular day as I drove myself from our friendly neighborhood grocery store I found myself wrestling with emotion.  Words were just more than I could handle as they drove a wedge in my throat. You see right before I had been filled with judgement as I watched the young people walk in and out in their red shirts attending the customers.  My eyes filled with envy as the young man put my bread in with my cans!

 "Really", I thought...I too had worked in this same establishment as a young person and wanted to say with a snapping voice-"Do you think the bread should go with that!!!!"

I wanted to do so not because I wanted to give him friendly advise (could you tell) or because he was rude or that I was having a bad day.  You see our youngest has been applying for a job for months-not just at this particular place but other stores.  He's applied and there's been rejection after rejection.  We've encouraged him time after time-asked him to continue to pray.  The conversations had come to "What does God want from me, Mom?"  Our answer-PRAY!!!

Although, I continued to ask him to pray-I had found myself looking over the edge many days thinking 'what's going on here-if they could only see him beyond the application.'

As with all my kids Julian volunteers-gives back-and since he has such a huge heart Caritas was the perfect place. This past week he encountered a gentleman who wanted to roughly know what wrongs he had done to land himself to have to serve at Caritas.  When Julian explained that he was there willingly- everything changed and both he and this gentleman engaged in a much needed conversation.

So back to my car ride back from the grocery store and that wedge.  God placed this heavy conviction on my heart.  He laid on me that I had prayed and prayed that He would use my children to be His Hands and Feet.  I had prayed that when they walk out of our home they would open their hearts to shine for Jesus and show His love and reach out to someone in need.  What we saw as rejection after rejection wasn't that at all but actually putting Julian on hold for the perfect opportunity to do the perfect job -for the Perfect God.  I shared what God showed me that day in the car with my son and told him that what he did that day was richer than any pay check he would ever receive. God's plans are greater and bigger than what we can see before us.

I'll never look at a rejection the same again!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment