Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Labels

In conversation with a good friend in the last couple of days we have often spoke of how we were "labeled". She is unhappy with how she has been stamped.  I can understand the distaste it leaves her-knowing how someone else has taken the liberty and unkindly give their own signature.

The conversation stuck with me for several days and has seem to actually haunt both of our thoughts. Her attention-for obvious reasons- I mean it's her "rep" after all.  But, it has bothered me for other reasons. 

Why?

Why do we allow ourselves to be marked with labels?  I'm sure when we were created His intentions were not for us to be defined of this world.  Sure, we want people to see us as honest, loving, dependable.  But, does that label us to just those characteristics?  

I once heard a friend speak at a retreat about labels. What stands out is she said that a lot of those labels are put there by none other than...you guessed it....US!!! ME!!!! YOU!!! Yea...you...don't look back or look at your buddy sitting next to you. 

We put the pressure on ourselves.  We desire that perfect title-the invisible banner across our chest that lets everyone know-"Hey, I'm a good person!"  The salutation before our name that signifies importance and identity.  You may say that-'No, that's not me.'-but to a point we all have a little bit of that person in us -otherwise it wouldn't matter what or how others pictured us.

Lord knows I've placed so many labels on myself that if I had to literally pull them off-there would be no need to shave-enough said.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't want to have an identity.  I desire existence, but what I should crave is that it be in His Name.  When someone looks at me-I pray that it is His reflection and Light that attracts them. 

The only "Label" I should be passionate to wear should read:



image by iSaved



No comments:

Post a Comment