Friday, January 3, 2014

Taking It for Granted

I've been ill the past couple of days.  It's how I spent my holiday vacation actually.  I wanted so much more for my time off-kids home from college, the others out of school until after the New Year.  My mind had so much planned for us.  I was looking forward to some quality time-maybe catch a movie or two. Instead-I spent that quality time with my pillow.  Believe me the pillow is not as affectionate.

Sitting in bed I couldn't help but recall all the moments I wanted a few more minutes in bed.  How many of you make that wish upon a star?

"If only I could get in some more time in bed."
"I just want to lay here in bed and do absolutely NOTHING."

I admit-I've said those two phrases on more than one occasion.  After this past week, I don't plan on them slipping from my lips.(I'm human so they may slip...)  As I mediated (as there was nothing else to do) I started to realize how I take my health for granted.

I forget to say "Lord, thank you that I can breath through my nose," or "Father, I'm so grateful that I'm not choking on every breath that I take in."

If you haven't been sick lately then those two prayers may sound frivolous.  It's also amazing that I don't think about those types of thankful prayers until I've fallen ill.  Taking it for granted-that's me-I hate to accept.

As I type this out-I want this to be my New Year's Resolution...(or the in the words of the cute little kid on the AT&T commercial-My New Year's Revolution).  I want to bar myself from taking the small things for granted.  I want to celebrate every breath that I take in and to honor my health with thanks!  I will also rejoice in my illnesses!  Why?  Because  I grasp the concept that in my weakness it is through Him that I become strong.

Thank You, Lord!

So, as many of us have declared our resolutions-remember that even when you fail-He loves you.  When you fall ill-He loves you.  As we start to comprehend that maybe that resolution was far out of reach-He love you.

Take hold of the microscopic-the things that slip you're mind-the breath you just inhaled and even the cough that just nearly knocked you out of your socks. Start your revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment