Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Not Alone

We hit another milestone this past week.  Our youngest son received his drivers license.  He turned sweet sixteen in October, (you can still say that for a boy, right?) but had not really pushed for it and well if he wasn't I wouldn't either.  The day would have to come and it did.

Sitting in church the day before his test -Joe and I took him to the alter and again gave him to our Savior.
We would have faith that not only would He carry him through his test, but that our Savior would carry him through the rest of Julian's driving days.

Does that make it easier to let him go?  I would be a hypocrite and liar-if I stood here before you and said yes.  It doesn't mean that my teeth don't clinch and my knuckles don't turn a lighter shade of white at the thought of him out there in a sea of raging vehicles.  My heart turns a flip with the thought of my baby behind the wheel.  Hard to let go.

Does it ever get it easy?  I doubt it-I know it doesn't-I see it in the face of my mother who still tells me that taking a shower and going out will cause me to fall ill.  When she gets on to me for not buttoning up all the way.  Do I listen? Only when I know I'm going to see her...sorry Mom!

Letting go will never be easy, but knowing that our Savior is with our children makes it bearable.  My heart is comforted in the details that in the passenger seat is a Friend that will guide him and never leave him.  Our children are never alone in this world.  As they take long trips back home to college-as they face the unknown-they are not alone.  Isn't that the most beautiful and peaceful part of living?  That throughout it all we are never alone in all the chaos.  Have you ever just sat at your kitchen table or at the red light-looked over and felt His presence.  There's this unexplainable and overwhelming sensation that radiates through your very being-it's electrifying and yet harmonious.  You feel Him staring back at you and His smile is illuminating. The description is beyond words. He reminds you to not worry, He's got this and they're not alone.

I'm comforted and at peace because the same Hand holding them is holding me.

No comments:

Post a Comment