Friday, December 13, 2013

Stains on the Carpet

I pass the soccer fields every morning on my way to work.  Funny how there was a time when I thought "here we go again"! Early morning games on cold winter mornings or days when it would rain and my feet would gush in the muddy aftermath.
Soccer fields


Yuck!

I dreaded getting the boys out of their dirty uniforms and hosing them down.  I had to rush them through the house in hopes that they wouldn't ruin my carpet and leave mud stains all over the place.  Amusing really!

My Little Soccer Players



Why you ask?

Because I don't remember the color of the carpet in that old house.  I remember the smiles on Jonathan's face when he won the game and Julian's grin when he had the after game snack.  I can clearly look back and recall the sweet faces as they slept in the back of the car after a hard game.  Those are the treasures that still take my breath away.

So, why did I focus so much on that carpet?  I could have enjoyed so many more days had I not focused on what didn't matter.  I'm not saying that I don't have my moments today-that I don't lose myself in the darkness of the world.  Because I'm human-I do!

Today, I take my days slower.  I enjoy my kids and every moment I have with each of them.  If you can imagine -I don't worry about the mud that may track through my house.  The carpet can be replaced, but the time I have with them will only happen once. I want to make more memories that will turn into my treasure-having my breath taken away -it's like God's sweet kiss on my forehead.

Are you worried about stains on the carpet?

No comments:

Post a Comment