Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What's Your Story?

Before vintage was really the "in" thing-Joe and I would take trips and visit antique shops.  I enjoyed our time together then-browsing among the old and rustic.  There were dainty commodities that would make my eyes twinkle and huge articles that made my mind wonder, "what in the world."-thankful I live today.

Time passed and we stopped making our visits, but loving something never really stops does it?

Once the vintage and the old became the new "new"-I was all in!  I was hysterical that there were so many places here in town that now had these pieces.  Don't get me wrong-it doesn't mean I buy every piece I see-it actually has to speak to me for it to make the trip home with me.

My spot!


Last night, I was given an early Christmas gift by one of my closest and dearest friends.  An old coal bucket-I Love It!!!  She knows me so well.  I've already decided where it's place will be in our home.  I thought about why I love old things and I couldn't help but think about where it's been.  The story behind it or the previous owner-those are the same questions that cross my mind when I find something that will make it's journey home.

My new favorite treasure!


Everyone has a story!

Driving to work I reflected on a recent conversation.  I, myself, at one time was ashamed of my past story.  I wanted to disregard where I came from and my family issues.  I wasn't abused nor did I grow up in need.  It was actually the opposite.  But, behind the all the desires of every little girls heart was the nightmare of drug abuse.  Money couldn't save me from that darkness.

Drugs would continue to have it's grasp on my family's life from here on out.  Although I have not allowed his hands to choke my growing family, what it has done to my love ones surrounding me has had it's lasting effects.  I'm no longer hesitant about my past-she is apart of what has made me the person I am today.  For that I am forever thankful.

Maybe this is why I'm intrigued by these inanimate objects of the past.  Each one holds a secret memoir and though they cannot tell their story-they have character.

Love this little piece.


What's your story? 


No comments:

Post a Comment