Friday, November 15, 2013

Are You Kidding Me?!?!?!

Woke up this morning ready to face my day! Excited-said my little prayer before my feet hit the floor-it was going to be a wonderful day and I was ready! Or was I?
Evening at UNT

As we settled into the car we began our journey to our destination and SLAM! The dilemma began before the car could get out of the driveway.  I had a horrible debate with one of my kids that ended up with a screaming match.  I imagined that the cars on each side of us could hear every word that we screeched.  Thinking back we appeared to be a bad country music video.  You know what I'm talking about-the one with the distressed mom slowly moving her head back and forth screaming "NO" in a tearful rage in the car as her teenage daughter- rebellious in her stance is sitting there arms crossed (with no tears). It's always some drawn out situation.  It had the same effect.  My car had turn into a wrestling cage of words.  There were two kids in the back-who did not offer to play referee-one sat facing the window(probably deliberating whether to jump out) and the other laughed (either from insanity or just happy that it wasn't them). It was a horrific scene-not exactly how I imagined starting my morning.  I left them driving back home with fumes leaving my ears and tears in my eyes-and not from sadness.

I returned to bed and began my conversation with God-"Can you believe the nerve of that child?" I ranted for a good twenty minutes before drifting.  When I woke up the fury had eased and I began to ask Him how to handle it.  He then told me to apologize.  What?!?! Are You kidding me?!? I didn't do anything wrong.

I suddenly could see myself turning into that debating child. What kind of example have or will I be displaying if I cannot humble myself?  It's not easy, is it?  To humble yourself at the expense of your pride. It doesn't matter the situation and whether I was wrong or right-the fact that I didn't ask God first on how to respond- was my mistake. I'll take accountability for it.

I certainly need to get a better grip on the count to ten thing too!


James 4:6

But He gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

No comments:

Post a Comment