Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Who Do You Play For?

Growing up I was never a sport fan-my dad wasn't into sports. Falling in love when I was 16 years old with the love of my life- a true sports fan-will change everything.

Today, I'm still in love with that same sports fan. But, I have converted into an ESPN, College Game Day, NFL, Mean Green, Texas Longhorn enthusiast. ( that's a better word than "loon") I enjoy the atmosphere of the real game experience-there's nothing like it-the yelling, the smell of the hot dogs, the adrenaline when your team scores! It's amazing-I'm a different person when it comes to watching a game. My husband, Joe, will say he's "created a monster", the kids will laugh and tell me to calm down. I don't think I know who I am when I'm watching a game anymore. I'm certainly not that girl, 22 years ago when I first met my sweet heart-I didn't even know what a football was made of or what a first down meant!

We went to a Longhorn game this past weekend (unfortunately-a loss, but we won't talk about that)- I stood in the crowd of DKR Stadium in the sea of Burnt Orange (a few specks of that other orange-sorry to my OK State friends) -I pondered-what each person's thought was about God. Ever do that-wonder about the person sitting beside you at the doctor's office or in the grocery store line? Wonder where his or her spiritual life is that very moment. What if we could all be identified what "team" we supported by the shirts we wore?  If we gathered in a stadium and cheered on a team that fought over a ball that represented our "spiritual life"- and you were required to wear the t-shirt that represented the life you actually lived-what team would it represent? Hard question?!?! I mean I know what shirt I want to wear.  I'm sure some of you that will read this will have the same response-you know what shirt you want to wear too.

Love My Longhorns! HOOK 'EM!


Leaving the game in my dismal state-I watched all my fellow Longhorn fans walk away. Life goes on-it was just a game. Thank goodness that it's just a game.  There's so much more to life than what happens on that field-than two teams knocking each other out for pigskin. (impressive, huh?!)

Thinking back to my summer group study-"Not A Fan" by Kyle Idleman (if you haven't read it-I suggest you do!) I don't want to sit on the sidelines. I have the best Captain there is-I don't want to just cheer-I want to be on the team. Is it always easy-nope! I struggle to put my shirt on-sometimes I'm bloated and it just doesn't fit. But, my Quarterback doesn't leave me hanging and for those of us who don't play in the big leagues yet-He doesn't leave you on the playground either!


Deuteronomy 31:8

It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you.  Do not fear or be dismayed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment